Thursday, February 9, 2012

"Familiarity Destroys and Trumps Fear"

I have been in Dubai for just over 2 months now and while I've been buried somewhat in the oddities of setting up a new house in a new country, my brain is wildly bookmarking thoughts, epiphanies, and experiences and my fingers have pounded out no less than 15 very unfinished posts.
However, I think I need to settle down and settle in before I unleash my brilliant observations on everyone :-)

In the meantime, I thought sharing this 2010 Ted Talk by Sheikha Al Mayassa of Qatar might give you a tiny insight into numerous interesting topics from this part of the world: The Abbaya, Arab Art and Culture, Women in progressive roles in the Middle East.
I've read much about Sheikha Al Mayassa but have never heard her speak. There is quite alot packed into her 10 minutes and I had to intently listen to it twice because my mind would start percolating on something she said and then she would be off into something else before I could catch up!

But she ended on a very poignant note - "familiarity destroys and trumps fear".

I agree.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment