Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Can't Touch This! Alcohol, Cucumbers, and Carrots...

After living in the land of Super Big Gulp Beer, it feels a little odd to go shopping at a very cool supermarket and not be able to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner. Buffalo Mozzarella? Check! Freshly baked French Bread? Check! Fresh Basil? Check! Garlic Stuffed Olives? Check! Oooh...now for the Merlot....DOH! Crap!Whhhyyyyyy??????

And of course it's always interesting to understand how traditions of faith are born and so natch, the two year old inside of me starts "the campaign of why":
Why is alcohol banned for those who follow the traditions of Islam?

Of course there is the obvious reason: alcohol makes you do dumb things. But, in my humble opinion, so does religion. So there has to be a better reason right?

Why was wine embraced as the symbol of Christ's blood? Dunno...yet.
Why did European monks so readily embrace the liquid amber? Because winter's are freaking cold in Europe...that's why!

Of course I have a million other why's, but I came across this very informative article by Zaufishan, on the website Green Prophet that explains why Muslim's don't drink alcohol, so I thought I would pass it forward to those of you interested in learning new things.


photo from The Green Prophet

And THEN my eyes fell upon this next bit of interesting information while on the same site (different author) and well, now I think .....no, I can't say that....well, I think.....nope, can't say that either..... Umm, I guess that this MUST be via their version of The Onion! Has to be - right????


Wow...I have soooo much more learning to do! Cucumbers and Carrots? Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment